Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving Weekend in GA

We went to Americus, Georgia for our Thanksgiving weekend, which ironicly is in Sumter County Georgia! My Brother went to college at Georgia Southwestern University to play baseball and while up there he met his wife Kiley. After finishing college they moved here to Florida and were married 3 years ago. So we have been up there several times throughout the years.

Last year my Mom and Pop bought a camper and decided to take it up to Andersonville, GA which is near the hunting lease Jeremy has and we all spent the weekend up there. We had a nice time, the weather was good, we had Thanksgiving dinner at Kiley's parents house and spent most of our time picking up pecans and visiting Plains (the home of Jimmy Carter) and Andersonville Civil War POW museum and cemetery.

So this year we went back for hunting, hopes of more pecans and taking some photos while there . Everyone else left a few days before us but we got there just in time for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. During the middle of the night it started raining and it didn't stop it followed us home on Sunday. The guys still went hunting a little but didn't see anything...They mainly just got wet. I did not get to do the photo shoot I was supposed to do either, but hopefully we can get together down here to get them done. Cheyenne, Mom and I spent most of our time in the camper or at Mrs. Julie's (Kiley's Mom's). We did venture into town one day and did a little shopping, but mostly we watched TV or read.

I bought the book "The Shack" after a recommendation from Lori...I finished it Monday night. It is a great book and very insightful. It will make you stop and think about your life and how you live it. If you haven't read it you should...its truly life altering.

It did stop raining for a couple of hours on Saturday so we ventured down into the little town of Andersonville. If you blink you literally will miss it. They have an old settlement down behind the little antique stores. We walked around and I took some nice shots of the old houses and the railroad tracks. The leaves have turned fall colors and we enjoyed looking at the different beautiful shades of brown, gold, yellow, purple and orange. One of the ladies from an antique store said "Don't worry about all the buzzards it's their mating season..." so needless to say there were buzzards flying around all over there too, roosting on the water tower...

We went over into the POW camp and rode around and took pictures. I can't count now how many times we have been there, but every time we go it just makes you think about all those men who were held captive in that camp during the Civil War. It really is a beautiful place but knowing what went on there and then going into the cemetery where they all were buried it is very sobering (that is how mom describes it).

There were no pecans either... last year we picked up a large box full, this year there was not one on the ground or in the trees. But even though it rained, the men didn't shoot a deer, there was no pecans and the drive home was horrendous. It was still a good holiday weekend spent with family and that is all that matters!

Here are some of the pics I took, it was pretty for a blink of an eye!


6 comments:

jennykate77 said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, even with the rain. The pictures are beautiful! The south has so much history. I would love to make a trip down through Tennessee and Georgia. I've been there lots, but not since I've been an adult and can really appreciate the history. Plus, one of my cousin's (one that I am closest to) is living in Atlanta right now and just had her first baby ☺ Glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

Jennifer said...

I LOVE the railroad tracks picture!!! The pics are so nice it makes me want to move there! So glad you had a nice time :) I just love Kiley!

Deborah said...

great pics of the leaves! I want to go somewhere the holidays one year!

Harper Valley said...

WOW! Your pictures are gorgeous, Christy! You're my inspiration. Gotta upgrade my camera soon. Merry Christmas! --lisa

Denise said...

Glad you got to read The Shack. It is definitely an amazing book. Too bad you had so much rain, but I bet you got that book read in no time! :)

Jeanne said...

Your pictures are truly beautiful! WOW! Oh, I love the Shack. I'll never dress Josie in anything with a lady bug again, but it was still nutty good!



Cocoa Beach June 2008