Friday, August 22, 2008

Cutting some of the Apron Strings

I had yet another "cutting the apron stings" experience this past week. Brant my oldest started Middle School on Monday (Since Marion Cty has been closed the rest of the week, I will have to do this again next Monday). During his orientation, I walked him around to all of his classes and showed him which way to go to find his way. That school is alot bigger than the one I went to with alot more kids!

During the day I met his PE teacher who told me that Mon-Wed they will have a 6 period schedule then on Thurs & Fri they will have a block schedule...Me getting paranoid I asked if they would remind the kids of this and she told me yes and reassured me that they will help the kids until they all knew the routine. I apologized for "being a mom" and she said "Well we all have to start cutting the apron strings a little at a time each time they go on into new schools and as they go through life."

On Monday we took Cheyenne to school, she starts an hour & a half earlier than him. She was a little nervous but I wasnt so worried about her, she is in the same school and in 3rd grade so she know the ropes so to speak.

Anyway, we had a little time together, we went to Walmart and got a few things and then we were on our way to the school. He looked at me and kinda took a deep breath. I knew he was nervous because he barely ate breakfast and I was naseous all morning too, wishing I hadnt eaten breakfast. I asked him "Do you have the note card with all of your classes in your pocket?" He shook his head yes and then I said, "Are you sure you dont want me to walk you to your first class?" Without hesitation he said "Mom Im going into 6th grade you dont need to walk me."

So we drove on and as we pulled up to the drive he got out and took his stuff, turned and looked with a little bit of a nervous look and just said "Bye Mom". While Im telling him I love him and waving...

I drove away and made it out of the parking lot when the tears came. I waited all day, wondering how it went. Did he find all his classes? Did he see anyone he knew? When I picked him up he said he had a good day and really liked it. Which was a great relief but a little gut wrenching knowing he doesnt need me as much as he did...

So I cut a little of my apron strings for now waiting until the time Cheyenne goes to 6th and He goes to 9th... Thank goodness that's 3 years from now! They will always be my babies in my mind even when they are 50!!!!

1 comment:

lori said...

Man they grow up way to fast.
He is too cute!!



Cocoa Beach June 2008