Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Baby Steps Into Growing Up

My 8 year old daughter Cheyenne, is very shy, and everyone says I named her perfectly. We actually call her Chey as a nickname. She has always been one to take so long to warm up to everyone and everything. We once took her to a water park in Daytona and she was scared to leave my side the for the first hour, then when she finally did and started enjoying herself it was time to go. I can't say a lot about it because I am also a little shy, maybe not as much as I used to be but sometimes when we are around a lot of people around me I get nervous and I defiantly can not speak in front of a crowd!

The first few years of school was no picnic either, most mornings she cried and threw up before school. It was awful, that is one of the reasons I quit my job and last year in 2nd grade was better for her, no throwing up and she only cried a few times... Now this year is a whole different story, she gets up in the morning, gets ready and actually has a smile on her face. I have seen her blossom so much in the past few months, its like she is trying to leave the baby behind and come into being an adolescent or more importantly a tween...oh my, I'm not sure I'm ready for that one. She already acts like she is 16 sometimes, thanks to Hannah Montana!

She is also afraid to spend the night anywhere, the only places she would stay are at her dad's or her dad's mother's house. But this summer she did stay with my Mom once, for the first time in a really long time. She said it was great and asked not long ago when she can stay with her again. We are working on that feat but she is doing alot better. Im not sure I will get her into children's church anytime soon either, but you never know she may surprise me.

I am especially proud of her right now though, I saw her overcome a fear of speaking in front of people last night. We joined 4-H and they asked her to be the secretary, the whole time Im saying "she's not gonna do that", but all the parents assured me they would help her along, so we agreed. So last night was her first time and she had to read the minutes, she was scared to death and I could see the fear on her face. She wouldnt even participate in the activities before she was so nervous, but when it came time for her, one of the leaders stood beside her and helped her with the words she had trouble with and she read the whole thing aloud!!!! She did AWESOME... I was so proud, then she actually wanted to stand up in front of all of them and recite the 4-H pledge, she couldnt remember it this time, but we will study hard for next time.
She even asked if we could do a presentation in one of the upcoming meetings! WOW is all I have to say, is that my little Chey who is scared of her own shadow sometimes??? Yes it is!!! We are also going to enter the Southeastern Youth Fair in Marion County where she may have to speak to judges, we will cross that bridge when we get there but for now we will take these baby steps into growing up!

2 comments:

lori said...

Awe, what a sweet girl.. My kids still ask about yoru kids.

Where did you say yall are going to church?

Jeanne said...

Look at Chey...now the secretary of 4H! How far has she come??? I don't know how you made it through those first years of school with her being so anxiety ridden (is that how you spell it?) And, thank YOU for your sweet comments about my kids and blog and everything. I'm glad Joey could help. He said you guys could be a part of our family. You'd fit right in. That's sort of a compliment hee hee. He's talking about my side of the family. I hope your family is doing good! Love ya



Cocoa Beach June 2008